Another announcement from Jackson Kayak last week was the release of their new offshore fishing kayak – the Kraken. This is the boat that Jim Sammons has been working with Tony Lee and the design team at Jackson Kayak to create. After fishing in Panama with Jim for a week back in February, I know that he is pretty stoked that this boat is finally a reality.
“Our core mandate was to build a great paddling boat for fishing, instead of a fishing boat we can paddle,” said Jackson Kayak design team lead Tony Lee. “The end result reflects all our design experiences pulled together into one very awesome paddling kayak.” This is a paddler’s fishing kayak, something speedy for the big water guys, which is right up Jim’s alley.
“Key features of this monstrously equipped ready-to-fish kayak include the following:
- A new and improved Elite seat with fore/aft adjustable trim to compensate for large load swings;
- All new, more comfortable foot pegs;
- New hinged center hatch for easier hull storage access
- 4 behind-the-seat rod holders: 2 RAM Rocket Launchers, 2 Flush Mount;
- Neoprene sealed dual-level front hatch;
- Bait tank pump scupper;
- Transducer scupper for fish finders.
Rotomolded of linear plastic, the Kraken weighs 75 pounds and has a capacity of a whopping 550 pounds. MSRP is $1799; $1999 with rudder.
The Kraken will debut to sporting goods buyers at the upcoming Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake City Aug. 4 – 9.”
For more information on the Kraken, be sure to check out these links: